15 September 2010

Well, Excuse Me for Living

I retract my earlier statements about how nothing causes an existential crisis like updating your resume.  Applying for health insurance should be outlawed for violating our Eighth Amendment rights.

Backstory:  in the next few weeks, I will have exhausted my COBRA.  My new employer won't start offering health insurance until January.  So that leaves me vulnerable to car accidents, aneurysms and stray cats carrying the Ebola virus for a few months.

I have been insured by Blue Cross Blue Shield my entire life.  So, it would seem, it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to obtain one of their nifty little Temporary PPO plans to cover me in the interim.  It would seem.  They totally denied me.

I've applied for a couple of other individual plans, but it doesn't take an underwriter to see where this is heading.

The medical history questions went back ten years.  TEN.  And they asked about everything -- I was scrambling to look up names and addresses of doctors who have retired since I last saw them.  By the end of it, I was wracked with an exam-taking anxiety.  "Have you had a pap smear?" was one of the questions.  Yes.  Wait...is that a trick question?  Will they NOT cover me because I haven't been more thrifty with my ladyparts?  

This is Me Right Now.
The main issue appears to be that I receive treatment for anxiety and depression.  So, a disease that I inherited (both of my parents are medicated and/or in counseling.  Grandmothers on both sides have made octogenarian confessions to me that they think they have an anxiety disorder.  My uncle attempted suicide three times.) has turned me into an Untouchable in the eyes of the health insurance pantheon.

So, basically I'm being penalized for doing what American culture insists that we do: "take steps" and "make a plan" and "feel better."  I'm being penalized for not blowing my head off.

"Do you consider yourself cured?" the form asked.  And no, there wasn't a write-in box.  

On the upside, this seems to be one of the only times in recent years where my non-imminent production of offspring is a good thing. 

We all just went through a painful and intelligence-insulting national health care debate, so I'm not going to go into all that.  But if anyone knows a Canadian who wants to get married --  hook a sister up.

2 comments:

  1. Although entertaining in that "should I really laugh at the crappiness of it all" kind of way, my reflexive response to any and all descriptions of health care travails will forever be as follows:

    "Thank you for contacting me regarding health care coverage. I apologize for the delayed response to your message."

    To much time as a health care LC, I'm afraid. OLLLLLLD GLORY!

    ReplyDelete