29 September 2010

Knots to Untangle

OK, it's not the absolute worst time for my computer to go tits up, but it's far from ideal. 

I'm back at Winston's on the shared machine, the only one of the two that doesn't have the same virus as my laptop.  Looks like I'll be dropping some unexpected cash on a new computer sooner than I'd hoped. 

My dad and stepmom recently divorced after more than two decades of marriage.  One of the hardest parts has been counseling my dad through the random shit that happens in life -- things that my stepmother used to just deal with for the both of them.  He gets so upset when an unexpected credit card fee pops up or when the Internet service he ordered and paid for turns out to be spotty at the river cottage he moved into this spring.  He takes it personally, and spins into rages at these little indignities.  "Dad, this is life, these kind of things happen all the time and they happen to everybody," my brother and I found ourselves saying over and over.

And tonight, I'm having to say it to myself.  Over and over.

grrrr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment